Tuesday, September 15, 2009

severance hospital volunteering

This is my second time going to see the little kids at Severance Hospital on the Yonsei campus. It's exciting and fun to teach them English but...they're so sick, as in ill.

Most of them have varying forms of cancer or another long-term illness. My first time volunteering, I helped a kid named Toby. He had scars all over his head, so I think he had brain cancer and was being treated for it. Today, I worked with a girl named Ga-ih. She was beautiful but she couldn't speak above a whisper and her legs didn't work. It's so...depressing.

And when Christina and I were walking down the hallway to get to the classroom, all the doors around us are open and you just peek in and you get this eyeful of sad, depressed, terminally-ill children. It really scares me that one day I'll show up and we'll get news that one of the kids we've gotten used to seeing won't be there anymore.

I sincerely hope I do stop seeing some of them, and I don't mean that I hope they pass away. What I mean is that if I don't see them anymore, that means that they've gone home because FINALLY, they're well enough to be at home. Can you imagine living in a hospital? All these kids are spending a huge chunk of their childhood in these walls.

I've only done this twice so far but I become so quiet after I visit them. I can't even hold regular conversations with my friends because I feel like these kids are really happy and awesome during that one hour we have with them...but after that, what do they have?

It's just really...something to think about, I guess. I've only known a few children who have had to spend time in a hospital but they've never had to LIVE there. Ah, it's just weird. I'll be fine and happy tomorrow, until next Wednesday.

But so glad I came to Korea :D At least I get to meet these awesome kids hahaa. They call me "Anne" because "Anreeka" is too hard LOL...Don't like "Anne" but I'll deal hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment