Sunday, August 23, 2009

in seoul!!!

Fun day haha.

Got on a plane to come to Seoul. Flew over Japan (waved to Courtney but I don't think she could tell haha...I'm such a loser), then landed (obviouslyyyy). Got off the plane and had my temperature checked (can't have H1N1)...okay, so the temperature checking thing was kind of funny. There was this HUGE line and like 3 people checking the temperatures. I couldn't see so well from where I was at the beginning, and I thought they were sticking the thermometer things inside people's ears...but they weren't. Those thermometers were SO COOL!!!! They just stuck them near your aorta thingy and that was it. THEY DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH YOU!!!

I was seriously amazed. I kind of stared for a minute.

Then I had to go through Immigration and Customs which was a lot easier than I thought it would be. But once you make it out of the Customs part, you have a ton of taxi drivers coming up to you and saying either, "Taxi?" or "Gimpo?"...the "Gimpo" thing really confused me at first until I realized that was the OTHER airport in Seoul and they thought maybe she's going there?

But no. I was a woman on a mission to her AIRPORT LIMOUSINE, No. 6012!!!

It was late.

And it really wasn't a limousine. It was a bus. And no one spoke English, so me and the baggage handler stood there for like 5 seconds staring at each other. But thankfully, the words I had to say were going to be easily understandable in English or Korean.

"World Cup Complex 5."

The fact that I told him the wrong stop is besides the point. He still understood me :D YAYYYYY!!!

So anyways, I got on the bus and used the super-duper map in my head to guide me. Seriously. I had no real map, but I had Google Earthed the whole thing...yesterday. I was pretty sure I knew what I was doing.

Ummm, no.

So everytime we went on a bridge, I thought I was five seconds from my stop. Totally not true. And I looked really weird while I looked for my stop (looking really didn't help since I COULDN'T READ THE SIGNS ANYWAYS!!!...but that didn't stop me haha) because I was craning my neck in all sorts of crazy directions. But seriously, this place is gorgeous. I don't know if it was because I was there at dawn and fog was rising up from the rivers, but Korea is green, hilly, forest-y, and just plain gorgeous.

Then I got off at the wrong stop. In my defense, I got two separate e-mails from these people, one saying get off at World Cup Complex 7, the other saying World Cup Complex 5. But I got off at 5 anyways. To me, it looked alright. I started crossing this really busy intersection and then DROPPED MY BAG!!! Yes, you can laugh. I dropped my luggage in the middle of a busy intersection and then lugged it awkwardly until I reached the opposite street.

I then proceeded to make myself get lost. But I decided to ask directions after I dropped my bag a second time. Thank goodness I did ask for directions because I was heading the complete OPPOSITE way.

Yes, I am brilliant at directions.

So finally I reach my apartment place and the people behind the desk go, "Wow, you're here early." And I was, since it was approx. 7:00 am for them. Oops.

But they still had my apartment ready and OH.MY.SHIZZNIT. This place is AMAZING. It's SO PRETTY!!!




This is the kitchen. Not stocked yet but soon...never mind. I don't plan on cooking while I'm here haha...


Umm, I had to take a picture of this. So in theory, this is super cool. It's one of those water-saving toilets, which we all need during this insane water shortage the world is facing (and next to no one in the U.S. is aware of). But...it's so...graphic? No, that's not the word. It's just intense. Thankfully though, there is a flush handle thingy. I'll save water eventually.

The bathroom. Nice :D
Me and my roomie's bed's. It's kind of a small room but not so bad. There's no real desk though. But right next to my bed, is an outside room type of thing. It's like an enclosed balcony. Super nice :D I'll take pictures once the sun stops burning :O

The entrance! That's where you take off your shoes and stick them in the cupboard that you can see. SUPER NICE!!!
Living room. And I will live here. You know why? They have INDIAN CHANNELS!!!! I'm so set for life. I will never leave this apartment.
More of the living room.
Washing machine and dryer in one. Also, the directions are in Korean. So they gave us a paper with English haha
More of the brilliant kitchen :D If I cooked, I would love it. But I don't.

But right now, what I really need is food. They have continental breakfast for free (it's about 10 am right now) but I'm assuming it's closed. I'm waiting to Skype with family. Once that's done, maybe I'll walk down the street and find something to eat.

FOOD.

Here I come :D

4 comments:

  1. Johnathen "You know you love me" DuranAugust 23, 2009 at 6:28 PM

    Wow. It looks like a really nice apartment. I'm so jealous. My house sucks! lol. So tell me again, why are you in South Korea? And for how long? And are you sending postcards to me? And I would like a scarf and some incense. I'll pay for the scarf too! Something nice and warm for the winters. holla...

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet blog you got here, anreekie! how long are you gonna be in s. korea? does this mean you won't be at socc in november? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad you made it to South Korea safely! Your apartment is so nice! It's cool you have a dryer, since here nobody does and it stinks hanging out laundry to dry :/ That tv is sweet! I thought I got a lot of stuff when I moved into my apartment, but your place is amazing! You should come visit Japan sometime while you're over there b/c it's so close :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Apartment. Liked the picture of the automatic toilet. Nice Kitchen, I would like that. Tell Atulmasa about the bidet, he will be thrilled. Dad.

    ReplyDelete